How to update the BIOS on an IBM Lenovo Thinkpad from a USB Flash Memory Thumb drive
I found this on http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/BIOS_Upgrade/X_Series and it worked on my Thinkpad X61t with the latest 1.24 bios.
1. Download the BIOS Update iso image and the USB Stick Formatter.
2. Now get access to Windows -- be it in an emulator, or a colleague's PC. Steps 3, 4, 5 needs Windows to complete.
3. Install the HP USB Stick Formatter.
4. Go to the directory where you installed the tool: e.g. C:\DriveKey and extract HPUSBF.EXE to a new directory HPUSBF\ (using WinRAR, 7zip or similar).
5. Run the HPUSBFW.EXE utility, selecting the location of system files as C:\DriveKey\HPUSBF, and let it format the USB stick.
6. Extract the iso image to the USB stick, for example to K:\7buj22us (K: being the USB stick).
7. On the target computer, boot with the USB stick and issue the commands "cd 7buj22us" then "command.com"
This brings up the BIOS flash interface and you can update your BIOS from here.
That's it! :D